Medical Laboratory Assistant (MLA) Short-term Certificate
DRUG TESTING/BACKGROUND CHECKS
As stipulated by the health agencies with which the Allied Health Department contracts for clinical experience, each student enrolled in any clinical experiences at Calhoun Community College will undergo health screen, drug, alcohol testing and/or background checks as a precondition to beginning a clinical rotation. The fee for testing/checks is the responsibility of the student. Written guidelines for the process will be provided to the student at the beginning of the program.
POLICIES AND CURRICULUM
Policies and Curriculum for the Medical Laboratory Assistant program are subject to change at any time. Written notice will be given to all students enrolled in MLA courses prior to implementation of change.
ENROLLMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR MLA CERTIFICATE PROGRAM
Once enrolled in the MLA program but prior to being scheduled for any clinical experience, the student must
1. Provide a current Health Division Student Health Form (to be provided) that has been completed by a licensed physician or nurse practitioner.
2. Have the ability to perform eligibility criteria as listed on health form.
3. Present proof that they have received the three (3) Hepatitis B vaccinations or proof of immunity to the Hepatitis B virus. If a student chooses not to receive the Hepatitis B vaccine, they must sign a form indicating their refusal (waiver form).
4. Purchase of professional liability insurance through the College as required by MLA program.
5. In addition to the above College requirements, the contracts between Calhoun Community College and area healthcare providers require proof of the following prior to students being scheduled for or attending a clinical experience:
• Current cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) course completion, professional level,
• Drug and / or alcohol abuse testing, and
• Criminal background check.
6. Fees / costs for all of the above enrollment requirements will be the sole responsibility of the student.
Calhoun Community College Medical Laboratory Assistant Program ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Enrolled MLA students are required to successfully complete both the academic and clinical requirements of the program to graduate. The MLA program has a list of Eligibility Criteria, which outline the cognitive, affective, and psychomotor skills deemed as minimally necessary for admission, progression, graduation, and the provision of safe patient care. If a student cannot demonstrate the skill and abilities delineated in the Eligibility Criteria, it is the responsibility of the student to request appropriate accommodations through the CCC Office of Student Disability Services. The MLA program Eligibility Criteria can be found on the MLA website.
Short-Term Certificate Info at a Glance
Program: Medical Laboratory Technician
Type: Short-Term Certificate
Program Code: STC-MLA