Calhoun Community College is the result of the consolidation of the Tennessee Valley State Technical School and John C.Calhoun State Technical Junior College. The Tennessee Valley State Technical School was instituted by the Wallace-Patterson Trade School Act of 1947. John C. Calhoun State Technical Junior College was established under the Alabama Trade School Authority Act of 1963. The two schools were merged into a comprehensive institution to become the John C. Calhoun StateTechnical Junior College and Technical School in September 1965. The president is directly responsible to the Board of Trustees for the Alabama Community College System (ACCS). The present designation as a community college was formalized by a State Board of Education resolution of September 23,1973.
The Alabama Community College System