General Principles for Transfer of Credit

  1. Transfer credit will be evaluated and recorded only upon receipt of all official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities. Students will be notified through email communication from the Office of Admissions and Records once the official evaluation is complete. A review of records by advisors, faculty, or other staff for advising purposes does not constitute an official evaluation.
  2. Coursework transferred or accepted for credit toward an undergraduate program must represent collegiate coursework relevant to the formal award with course content and level of instruction resulting in student competencies at least equivalent to those of students enrolled in the institution’s own undergraduate formal award programs.
  3. A course completed at other regionally accredited post-secondary institutions with a passing grade (C minimum required in Composition courses) will be accepted for transfer as potentially creditable toward graduation requirements.
  4. A transfer grade of “D” will only be accepted when the transfer student’s cumulative transfer GPA is 2.0 or above. Regardless of the GPA, a “D” in English Composition courses will not be accepted as transfer credit. Please note that some programs/courses require minimum grades of “C”, thus a “D” will not transfer.
  5. Transfer course grades are not calculated into a student’s grade point average for any purpose, including graduation or honors consideration.
  6. Credit may be extended based on a comprehensive evaluation of demonstrated and documented competencies and previous formal training. Please refer to the section on Credit from Nontraditional Sources in this catalog for additional information.
  7. The criteria for awarding credit for work completed in foreign colleges and universities will be the same as for other institutions within the United States. Students wishing to receive transfer credit for such foreign study must provide an English translation and a detailed course-by-course evaluation report. The reports must outline recommendations for awarding specific credit for specific courses. Students must request an official course-by-course evaluation from a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) approved agency. For a comprehensive list of approved agencies, please visit

High School Student: A secondary education student who is earning college credit while still in high school is considered either a Dual Enrollment or Accelerated student. Please see the Dual Enrollment and Accelerated High School section of this catalog for further information.

International Student: A student who is a citizen of another country.

Calhoun Community College accepts international students seeking an F-1 international student visa who meet the academic, linguistic, and financial requirements necessary for admission into the College.

Non-citizens of the United States who have been granted permanent residency status, deferred action status for childhood arrivals, or possess a valid United States Visa that permits post-secondary study as approved by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services are eligible to be considered for admission to the College as well. Students not seeking a F-1 visa are exempt from the financial documentation requirement. International students are required to pay the out-of-state tuition rate.

For unconditional admission and to be classified as degree eligible, applicants must have on file at the institution a completed paper application for admission, primary form of identification, and the following documents:

  • Official transcripts/leaving certificates from secondary school. The secondary school requirement must document that the student has the equivalent to a U.S. high school diploma.
  • Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities, if applicable, for transfer students.

In addition to the official foreign transcripts, all documents must be translated and evaluated (course-by-course for college transcripts) by a NACES approved evaluation agency. For a comprehensive list of agencies, please visit:

  • Proof of English proficiency
    • Students submitting official TOEFL scores must meet the following minimum: 500 (Paper-based test), 173 (Computer-based test), or 61 (Internet-based test). The TOEFL exam must have been completed no more than 3 years prior to the term of application.
    • Students submitting official IELTS (International English Language Testing System) scores must place within the following range: 5.5 – 6.0. The IELTS exam must have been completed no more than 3 years prior to the term of application.
  • Exceptions to the English proficiency requirement include students who have graduated from a regionally accredited United States high school, a transfer student who has successfully completed ENG 101 with a grade of C or higher at a regionally accredited United States college or university, or a citizen of an English speaking country that has been granted an exemption to the testing requirement. Please contact the International Student Advisor for a list of countries included in the exemption.
  • Signed and notarized financial sponsorship document along with official original bank statements in the sponsor’s name documenting evidence of at least $17,800 U.S. dollars or the equivalent for the 2017-2018 academic year. The financial documentation includes the approximate cost of tuition, fees, books, and living expenses for one academic year. Official financial statements must be dated within 3 months of the time of application for admission.
  • Completed health forms signed by a physician. The International Student Advisor will provide a copy of the necessary health form to applicants for completion.

Initial entry students will be issued a Form I-20 upon successful admission into the College. Transfer students who are enrolled in a United States college or university must submit a completed Transfer Clearance Form signed by the International Student Advisor. Students must be in valid F-1 status at the current college in order to be eligible for admission to Calhoun.

F-1 students must submit documentation demonstrating adequate health and life insurance including coverage for medical repatriation and evacuation expenses. Both forms of coverage must be maintained during enrollment at Calhoun Community College.

Audit Students: A student who registers for credit courses on a non-credit basis.

For admission, students must comply with the College admission standards as outlined in the requirements for first-time, transfer, or returning students.

Auditors will under no circumstances receive credits applicable to degree requirements. Tuition and fees for courses audited are the same as those for courses taken for credit. Students may not use federal financial aid for courses that are audited. Health science courses are not eligible to be audited by students at the College, and the appropriate pre-requisite requirements must be met for students wishing to audit a class.

Students may not change from “credit” to “audit” or from “audit” to “credit” after the Drop/Add period is over for the term.