Classification of Students

University Parallel
Students who plan to enroll for coursework which will transfer to a four-year institution are considered to be university parallel students. Enrollment may be for a minimum of one term or through completion of a two-year degree. Students should meet with an academic advisor to discuss programs of study and transfer requirements.

A Calhoun student who desires to attend another institution to take a course or courses needed for graduation at Calhoun must be in good standing with the College. A student in good standing with the institution must hold a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher and have no outstanding obligations with Calhoun. Coursework must be completed at a regionally accredited college or university and must be the equivalent of the Calhoun course needed for degree requirements. Students will be responsible for requesting their transcripts be sent to Calhoun at the completion of the term. Transcripts must be received before credit can be awarded.

Career and Technical
Students follow one of the career, technical, or allied health programs which lead to a certificate or degree.

Course Load
Students are classified according to the course load based on the credit hours for which they are enrolled on a semester basis.


Credit Hour Loads Credit Hours
Full-Time 12 or more
3/4 Time 9-11
Half-Time 6-8
Less than Half-Time 1 - 5
NOTE: To be eligible for financial assistance a student typically must be enrolled for at least 6 credit hours.

Freshman Level Classification - 0 to 29.99 semester hours

Sophomore Level Classification - 30.00 semester hour or more

Drop-and-Add Period

The drop and add period for fall, spring, and summer semesters will be defined within the Important Dates link for each term on the College's "Class Schedules and Semester Information" web page.

No grade will be assigned if a course is dropped during the drop/add period. See the section of this catalog on refund policy for refund information.